Thursday, September 24, 2015

Day 39. Crawfish Etouffee -- check

We checked into a KOA outside Lafayette LA.  The young woman at the desk had such a pleasant Cajun accent.  We got talking (surprise, right?) and she said her grandmother and a few older family members speak Cajun French.  Although she can understand the language pretty well, she said she cannot speak Cajun French.  She mentioned that the language is dying out quickly, which I had also read, and that she wished she had learned it.  I suggested that it wasn't too late!  As it is an oral language passed down through generations, it would be a shame for this language vanish.

She recommended that we try Fezzo"s, a seafood and steakhouse restaurant close by.  Score!  While Charlie ordered a seafood platter, I enjoyed a dish of Crawfish Etouffee.  It was delicious!  I hadn't had any since a trip to New Orleans some 25 years ago!  And it was just as wonderful as I remember.  Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment