Saturday, June 9, 2012

Seaside at Camden, Maine

I don't know that I've ever been to Maine before.  We drove from Brewster MA to Camden ME today.  It was a long drive, but I started to get excited when we reached the Maine welcome center.  The building's design was modern and the landscaping nicely done.  Inside there was a brochure on anything that you could possibly be interested in about Maine. Charlie found a brochure listing all the independent quilt shops in the State -- thanks! although I won't have the time to visit any of them this trip.  Plus, the staff was really friendly and helpful.  One of the first road signs we saw advised motorists to Watch for Moose on Highway -- I just loved that, although for the next 10 miles I found myself scanning the shoulders for moose!


Although I found myself missing the Cape Cod architectural esthetic, I was pleasantly surprised by Camden.  Charlie had been here before with a few of this college buddies and he really wanted to bring me here.  Really nice!  The harbor is so picturesque and calm and inviting.  And the shops are wonderful and different.  Love them.



We made plans for tomorrow's adventure and returned to Camden Hills State Park for a dinner of salmon and salad (never get tired of that combo).  The campground is awesome -- electricity, water, wifi, nice showers, quiet -- yes, friends, we've become very easy to satisfy.

p.s. 
One last impression about Cape Cod and religion.  There were many more Universalist Unitarian churches there than I've ever noticed in Maryland.  I've been considering becoming a UU because of my distress with the direction of the male-dominated, women-denigrating church establishment that has been my portal to spirituality for all of my life.  Maybe a sign?

2 comments:

  1. Happy moose spotting! Wow, electricity AND wifi, life is complete! You don't have to blog in the bathroom :).
    Hugs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll need to pick up one of those moose crossing magnets for your fridge. Hope you get to take a detour to at least one of those quilt shops :)

    ReplyDelete