Sunday, June 3, 2012

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses

Wow!  What my grandpa Firmin Ureel, at 12 years of age, must have thought as the ship steamed up New York Bay past the Statue of Liberty.  It was June 29, 1903 when he arrived with his family from their home in Krombeke, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium.  The guts and vision of immigrants that give up everything to come to America!  How exciting and frightening it must have been to walk into Ellis Island and hold your breath until you were given the prized "Welcome to America" card.  Wow!


  




Bucket list:  check, check

3 comments:

  1. Hope you had a lovely day touring Lady Liberty and her environs. Wondering whether there are any records there to be searched or if it is all done online these days?
    I see you have been busy adding more maps here, which I will have to investigate.
    Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is all done online. Anyone can go online at www.ellisisland.org and look up their relatives for free. Very cool. That's how I got a copy of the ships manifest with my grandfather's family listed and also ordered a picture of the ship they arrived on -- all suitable for framing!

      Delete
  2. Did you go to the top of Lady Liberty's crown? I did!!!

    ReplyDelete