Friday, July 5, 2013

Village of Hammondsport on the Keuka Lake

A lovely porch of a Hammondsport home
After we visited the grave of Charlie's ancestor who served in the Revolutionary War, we drove over to Keuka Lake and the village of Hammondsport, "America's Coolest Small City".  First stop -- a nice coffee shop and bakery.  Ahh, I enjoyed my latte. 

From there we started out on a walking tour through town.  While I was pointing out an architectural feature on one of the old houses, I tripped over an uneven sidewalk -- bam!  The good news is that, although scraped, neither my elbow nor my knee bled.  The excellent news is that I did not fall on my right knee with the replacement parts!!  I seem to be none the worse for the fall.


130 Beers!??  Wine's not the only drink in town!
We decided to cut short the walk and browse through some shops instead.  There was a nice quilt shop called Lake Country Patch Work that made me forget all about my fall.  Then we wandered into a shop where Charlie found a ceramic crock made in Elmira, his birthplace.  So we both enjoyed our visit to Hammondsport.




On the way back to the KOA, we stopped at an ice cream shop in Watkins Glen called The Great Escape Ice Cream Parlor run by the same sweet couple for more than 30 years.  Charlie ordered a banana split that was really big, so I had to help him finish it....  It was delicious.  Tonight's dinner?  salad


No comments:

Post a Comment