Friday, August 21, 2015

Day 7: Cheyenne

A sign in the Nebraska KOA said, "Once the breeze stopped blowing in Nebraska and everyone fell
over."  After I washed my hair this morning, I stood out in that Nebraska breeze and remembered letting my hair dry in the breeze that seemed to always blow on my dad's porch.  It felt wonderful and gave me an opportunity to have a nice conversation with a woman from Ontario.  She and her husband had been traveling since mid-June to Seattle, Oregon, and several California cities.  It was comforting to hear that they were able to avoid the northwestern fires and see all the sites they had planned.

Before we got on our way, we drove to my-least-favorite-store Walmart where Charlie had bought a virtually inedible couldn't-cut-it-with-a-sharp-knife steak last night.  (I know, but it was close by.)  Although the receipt was missing, I was encouraged because right on the package it says 100% money back guarantee.  Apparently in an effort to combat food stamp fraud, they only allow food refunds in the form of food.  Grrrr.

Back on I-80W, which generally follows the original Oregon Trail and where would-be drivers are warned that farm equipment is not allowed on the interstate, we enjoyed listening to the music mix that Vanessa had recorded for our road trip.  So far we've traveled 1800 or so miles and are getting 10.3 mpg.  Can't wait til we get to the mountains! 

Speaking of mountains, the change in the landscape leaving Nebraska was pretty dramatic.  Goodbye corn fields, hello hay fields and livestock.  And suddenly instead of flat horizons only interrupted by grain elevators, there were hills then bluffs.  But there are still beautiful yellow flowers lining the highway.











 It inspired us to sing the theme songs of our childhood's cowboy shows.  Showing our age!

Cheyenne,Cheyenne, 
Where will you be camping tonight?

or
Daniel Boone was a man, Was a big man.





No comments:

Post a Comment