Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Day 2: Wild Wonderful West Virginia

Sunday morning we set out for West Virginia.  The navigator missed a turn (oops!) so it took longer than expected, but we finally arrived (during daylight) at the KOA in Milton.  West Virginia is truly a beautiful state.  I couldn't help humming John Denver's song Country Roads.

Almost heaven, West Virginia,
Blue Ridge mountain, Shenandoah river,
Life is old there, older than the trees,
Younger than the mountains, blowing like a breeze.

Country roads, take me home,
to the place I belong,
West Virginia,
Mountain mamma, take me home,
Country roads.

All my memories, gather round her,
Miner's lady, stranger to blue water,
Dark and dusty, painted in the sky,
Misty taste of moonshine, tear drop in my eye.

Then I think about those beautiful 480 million years old Appalachians that don't stand a chance against mountaintop removal mining.  Now that brings a tear drop to my eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment